February 13, 2020

LDS Hospital

Early LDS Hospital Nurses Early LDS Hospital Nurses

Administrator: Shawn Morrow

Website

LDS Hospital has a long tradition of quality healthcare dating back to 1905. It has since grown to a 254-bed, elite, full-service community hospital serving northern Salt Lake and southern Davis counties.

LDS Hospital was dedicated in January 1905 and was the first successful hospital built by the LDS Church. An earlier hospital, Deseret Hospital, had been created by the Church's Relief Society in 1882 but closed due to financial problems in 1890. A local dentist, W.H. Groves, donated enough money to purchase the land that LDS Hospital was built on. Together with donations from the LDS Church, the hospital was completed in 1905 and opened as the W.H. Groves LDS Hospital. It had a nursing school and was an important training ground for many physicians.

The original hospital underwent expansion efforts in 1913 and 1929. In 1944, LDS Hospital established their first surgical and medical residencies in partnership with The University of Utah. Ten years later, the world’s first medical computer was developed at LDS Hospital and the first Newborn Intensive Care Unit was created.

In 1975, Intermountain Healthcare was created and took over operation of the LDS Church's 15 hospitals, committing to operate them as a nonprofit entity, serving the community's needs.

LDS Hospital was the flagship hospital for the newly created system and was the site of many Intermountain "firsts":

  • 1978--Life Flight Air Ambulance service created at LDS Hospital.
  • 1979--First bone marrow transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
  • 1983--First solid organ transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
  • 1985--First heart transplant performed at LDS Hospital.
  • 1993--First artificial heart implant performed at LDS Hospital.

In 1984, a new patient tower was built on the site, replacing the original LDS Hospital from 1905. A surgical center and MRI building were opened in 1984-85 and medical office building was built in 1991 and anew catheterization lab and CT scanner were installed in 1994.

LDS Hospital celebrated 100 years in the community in 2005.